Pumpkin & potato are tempered with nigella seeds and slow-cooked in mustard oil for a dish that heroes the pumpkin’s sweetness.
Calling all home cooks looking for quick and healthy weekday/weeknight meal ideas – add this pumpkin & potato in mustard oil dish to your repertoire! It’s the kind that comes together in a jiffy, requires just one spice (coz salt and turmeric powder are MUSTS and don’t count) and pairs well with rice or Indian bread of choice.
The Pumpkin & Potato in Mustard Oil is a version of the Kumdo’r Chechki, a traditional Bengali side dish wherein the pumpkin is grated or (extremely) thinly sliced and slowly cooked in its own juices. It’s the kind of dish that celebrates the natural flavours of the vegetable. If you’d like to try a traditional chechki, head over to the recipe for Mulo Chechki (provided radishes are in season).
Tips to remember for the Pumpkin & Potato in Mustard Oil
- Julienne the vegetables and try to maintain consistency in size; this helps all the food cook evenly.
- Remember to add the pumpkin later, as it cooks faster than potatoes.
- You can make this without the potato; just increase the amount of pumpkin.
- Always use double the amount of pumpkin as it reduces when cooked.
Do let me know if you try this recipe! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram at from.the.corner.table and hashtag it #fromthecornertable. I’d love to see it ❤️
For regular updates on recipes, recommendations on things to read and watch and ramblings that make sense, subscribe to the newsletter – you’ll find the form in the sidebar if viewing on a screen and at the bottom if viewing on the phone. Since spamming or flooding your inbox is a huge no for me, these newsletters go out only when I’ve put up a new post or sometimes, once in a month only.
- 200 grams Pumpkin
- 100 grams Potato
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 Green chilli
- 1 tablespoon Mustard oil
- ¼ teaspoon Nigella seeds
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- Peel and slice/julienne the pumpkin, potato and onion; keep them in separate bowls/plates.
- In a kadhai/deep pan, heat mustard oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add nigella seeds and green chilli.
- Let the nigella seeds splutter.
- Add the onion and potato; cover and cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Cover with a tight lid and let the vegetables cook in steam and moisture until the potato is cooked.
- Stir frequently to prevent the vegetables from sticking to the bottom of the vessel.
- Serve hot with roti/paratha or as a side dish with rice and dal.