A one-pot soup meal made with leftovers and greens, this is great for a working day dinner or when you’ve got surprise guests
Part two of the Lettuce Series as I’ve dubbed it was about throwing things into a large pot to put together a soup – the kind that makes life a whole lot better (read: bearable) when your home has been invaded by painters and you are sneezing your head off courtesy allergies. The Chicken Lettuce Soup isn’t a planned recipe but it’s the kind that, after you’ve sampled, you realise needs to be shared with the world. Or the little pockets of the world this blog reaches.
The best thing about this soup is that the mothership liked it and trust me when I say, her liking food that has chicken (she’s developing a dislike for chicken and meat) and lettuce (read part one of the Lettuce Series) made me feel like a parent whose child has accomplished something major in life!
For those of you who’re coming into this rodeo late, check out the Lettuce Sourdough-wich recipe to know all about reverse parenting. And for those of you like all things soup, check out the recipes for Masala Chicken Soup and Pumpkin Carrot & Spring Onion Soup for some inspiration.
Do let me know if you try this recipe! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram at from.the.corner.table and hashtag it #fromthecornertable. I’d love to see it ❤️
For regular updates on recipes, recommendations on things to read and watch and ramblings that make sense, subscribe to the newsletter – you’ll find the form in the sidebar if viewing on a screen and at the bottom if viewing on the phone. Since spamming or flooding your inbox is a huge no for me, these newsletters go out only when I’ve put up a new post or sometimes, once in a month only.
- 250 grams Smoked chicken shredded/boneless
- 200 grams Lettuce
- 1 Carrot
- 1 cup Cooked noodles/spaghetti optional
- 1 Onion
- 1/2 inch Ginger grated
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 3 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 Chicken stock cubes
- Salt as required
- Black pepper powder as required
- 1 litre Water
- Peel and mince the onion and garlic cloves.
- Peel and cut the carrot into cubes
- In a large pot, heat olive oil.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger and sauté till the onion is slightly translucent.
- Throw in the carrots.
- Pour in the water, add the chicken stock cubes, cover and simmer for 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently to ensure there are no stock cube lumps.
- Cube or tear the cooked chicken and add to the simmering pot of soup.
- Wash the lettuce well, tear and add to the soup.
- Add the cooked noodles/spaghetti if using.
- Check the seasoning and add salt and/or pepper if required.
- Adjust the consistency of the soup with water if required.
- Simmer for another 7-10 minutes.
- Serve hot with bread of choice.