A lettuce and cheese-loaded sourdough sandwich that’s a tasty, filling way to start the day
Remember those childhood days when the parents used to come up with innovative ways to make you eat those dreaded greens? There’s a role reversal situation on that front at home here, where I have to find ways to make the parents eat ‘foreign’ vegetables, namely non-Indian veggies or those they haven’t grown up with aka lettuce, broccoli, zucchini, etc. I get the reluctance, I do. But as I tell them, “You got to eat your greens.” #payback
With lettuce, I started with the tried and tested salad route which worked well for my father – he loves salad. But my mother? Nope. She was and continues to be reluctant. And because I was determined to get her to eat them, I tweaked a few recipes, and voila! She ate the lettuce-loaded food and I got what I’m dubbing the ‘Lettuce Series’, starting with the Lettuce Sourdough-wich.
The parents have developed a taste for sourdoughs and since all three of us love pan-grilled sandwiches, I snuck in a few leaves in our breakfast sandwich one day and delight oh delight! It’s hearty, tasty, and has that golden crunch when you bite in… mmmmm.
You can use vegetables other than tomato here but there’s something pure and nostalgic about the combination of bread+cheese+tomato that I adore. Just one thing to remember, these sourdough-wiches (sandwich – sourdough-wich… get the drift?) are pretty heavy on the stomach so ended up skipping lunch and had supper and a late-night snack.
Things to remember
- You can use vegetables of choice but as I’ve mentioned, tomato and cheese is pure nostalgia and classic.
- If the idea of pan grilling terrifies you, pop the sourdough-wich into a sandwich maker – whatever makes life easier!
Do let me know if you try this recipe! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram at from.the.corner.table and hashtag it #fromthecornertable. I’d love to see it ❤️
- 2 slices Sourdough bread
- 3-4 Lettuce leaves
- 1 Tomato (small)
- Feta Cheese
- Smoked Cheddar Cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper powder
- Wash the lettuce leaves well and shake/pat them dry.
- Crumble feta cheese, slice the Smoked Cheddar and set aside.
- Wash the tomato, cut into thin slices and set aside.
- Butter one side each of the sourdough slices.
- Assemble all the ingredients before you start.
- Place a non-stick pan on low heat and add a pat of butter.
- As the butter begins to melt, place a slice of sourdough on the pan.
- Layer with lettuce leaves, tomato slices and cheeses.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Top with the second slice of sourdough bread and cover with a lid.
- If you don’t have a lid, use a heatproof plate and press it down using a heavy object.
- Cook for a minute or two, until the bottom slice is golden (do the corner lift test here).
- Flip over, add another pat of butter and cook the second side as you did the first.
- Once done, remove from the heat, slice into two or just bite in!
For regular updates on recipes, recommendations on things to read and watch and ramblings that make sense, subscribe to the newsletter – you’ll find the form in the sidebar if viewing on a screen and at the bottom if viewing on the phone. Since spamming or flooding your inbox is a huge no for me, these newsletters go out only when I’ve put up a new post or sometimes, once in a month only.